JOBS, Ely's Historic State Theater
Theater Manager for
Ely’s Historic State Theater
Ely’s Historic State Theater, located in downtown Ely, Minnesota, seeks a highly skilled and experienced individual to serve as its Theater Manager. Following a complete restoration and renovation of the original 1936 art deco building and an expansion project into the adjoining building, Ely’s Historic State Theater now boasts the use of two screens (a 300 seat live event/movie theater, and a 50 seat movie theater) and a best in class concessions area.
This part-time, year-round position with the potential of expanding to full-time, oversees all activities of the theater and reports directly to the Board of Directors. Focusing on three principal responsibilities— financial sustainability, booking and calendar management, and facilities management—the Theater Manager will provide oversight of operations and programming for the theater, including facility rentals, film booking, live event coordination, and usage by community groups and others. Management of personnel, budgets, marketing and communications, public relations, and board relations also comprise the manager’s scope of responsibility.
- Supervise all staff members and manage payroll in collaboration with the Theater’s accountant
- Maintain the calendar of events by booking an engaging, diverse, and fiscally responsible calendar of movies and performances, reflecting the unique qualities of Ely, its residents, and visitors alike
- Manage the Theater’s operations account by defining the yearly budget, paying routine bills, overseeing regular cash deposits, and balancing the operations accounts
- Provide collaborative facilitation of the Board, Executive Committee, standing committees, and other shared governance activities
- Supervise and engage in the marketing activities of the Theater
- Oversee the cleaning and maintenance of the facility and its equipment
- Maintain documentation for all operating processes, contacts, and accounts
A successful candidate will be committed to welcoming diverse perspectives, building inclusive cultures, planning outstanding events, and instilling a sense of belonging. This description is a summary only and describes the general level of work currently being performed. It is not intended to be all-inclusive. The duties of this position may change from time to time based on the needs of Ely’s Historic State Theater. The Theater reserves the right to add or delete duties and responsibilities at the discretion of the EHST Board of Directors.
- 3+ years prior work experience
- Experience as a supervisor of other employees
- Experience in business management
- Experience in marketing, event planning, and/or fundraising
Conditions of Employment:
The EHST Theater Manager must be willing and able to:
- Submit to a criminal and sex offender background check
- Maintain a regular physical presence at Ely’s Historic State Theater’s building in downtown Ely, MN
- Participate in regular evening and weekend activities related to Ely’s Historic State Theater’s operations
Preferred Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- Ability to communicate effectively, both orally and in writing
- Ability to delegate responsibilities effectively and to manage projects toward identified outcomes
- Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with all constituents and stakeholders of the organization, including staff colleagues, Board of Directors, and members of the Ely and regional communities
- Experience presenting, booking, and contracting
- Strong technology skills, including experience with spreadsheets, project management, budgeting, accounting, technical equipment, etc.
- Outstanding customer service and public relations skills
- Knowledge of and ability to develop and implement marketing strategies
- Demonstrated commitment and leadership ability
- A passion for film, performing arts, and/or entertainment
Pay and Benefits:
- A flexible work schedule of approximately 20 hours per week (with the potential of expanding to full-time)
- Compensation commensurate with experience plus yearly bonus based on performance
- The option to work staff shifts for additional hours/income
- The option to pre-screen films with the staff prior to public release
- Live and work in a small town and arts-friendly community in the Superior National Forest on the edge of the Boundary Waters Canoe Area Wilderness
Required Application Materials:
To apply, please email the following (as a PDF) to firstname.lastname@example.org.
- A letter of application that outlines your qualifications, interest in the position, and relevance to your career
- A current résumé that includes your complete employment history
- A list of three to five professional references, including email address and phone number for each (we will notify finalists prior to contacting references)
Please do not submit any of your application materials through means other than the email address listed above.
Applications will be accepted until the position is filled, but preference will be given to complete applications received by July 15, 2022. Those who apply later may or may not be considered.